• “Honky Tonks, Truckers And Tears”, Ace’s first volume of Red Sovine’s classic Starday recordings, was something of a surprise best seller for us as a new release in 2005. It continues to sell well and has prompted customer inquiries as to when we’ll be releasing a second volume. Here it is at last.
• Those who only know Red for his posthumous UK .1 ‘Teddy Bear’ will find that there’s a lot more to him and his music once they sample “I’m The Man”.
• Unlike its predecessor, which featured many of the classic recitations that gave Red some of his biggest hits, our second helping of Red Sovine offers nothing but hard-core country songs drawn from over a decade’s worth of Starday singles.
• As well as numerous fine songs exclusive to his catalogue, “I’m The Man” also features Red’s excellent take on classics from the catalogues of George Jones, Roy Drusky, Charlie Rich, Moon Mullican, the Delmore Brothers, the York Brothers and Wayne Raney.
• Most of these tracks have never been issued in the UK before now, and a good number of them are making their first appearance on CD anywhere in the world.
• The customary extensive sleeve note, plus a wealth of vintage photos and label shots – plus some really great music, of course – will make “I’m The Man” an exciting prospect for any fan of vintage country music from its golden decade.
1. NO MONEY IN THIS DEAL
2. SITTIN’ AND THINKIN’
3. BRAND NEW LOW
4. HOLD EVERYTHING
5. SHE CAN’T READ MY WRITING
6. WALTZING WITH SIN
7. WHY BABY WHY
8. KING OF THE OPEN ROAD
9. EAST OF WEST BERLIN
10. I THINK I CAN SLEEP TONIGHT
11. COLOR OF THE BLUES
12. ACCIDENTALLY ON PURPOSE
13. NOBODY’S BUSINESS – with Minnie Pearl
14. I HOPE MY WIFE DON’T FIND OUT
15. DON’T LET MY GLASS RUN DRY
16. I’M THE MAN
17. BETWEEN CLOSING TIME AND DAWN
18. BLUES STAY AWAY FROM ME
19. THREE HEARTS IN A TANGLE
20. WHY DON’T YOU HAUL OFF AND LOVE ME – with Lois Williams
21. ENOUGH TO TAKE THE ME OUT OF THE MEN
22. I’M WAITING JUST FOR YOU
23. I’LL SAIL MY SHIP ALONE
24. I AM A PILGRIM